Cynisca

Cynisca or Kyneska was a Greek princess of Sparta. She became the first woman in history to win at the ancient Olympic Games.

Cynisca's win in the Olympics had a great impact on the ancient Greek world as other women, especially Lacedaemonians, later won the chariot racing like Euruleonis, Belistiche, Timareta, Theodota and Cassia. However, none of them was more distinguished for their victories than she was.

This Spartan princess is frequently used until today as a symbolic figure of the social rise of woman.

Docu about the spartans, in it the story of Cynisca is told

when? born c. 440 BC ...............where? Sparta ..... Greece in antiquity

how?

Cynisca is said to have been a tomboy, an expert equestrian and very wealthy, the perfect qualifications for a successful trainer. She was exceedingly ambitious to succeed at the Olympic Games and the first woman to breed horses and win an Olympic victory, according to Pausanias.

While most women in the ancient Greek world were kept in seclusion and forbidden to learn any kind of skills in sports, riding or hunting, Spartan women by contrast were brought up from girlhood to excel at these things so as to produce strong children, by going through early training similar to that of their brothers.

The ancient Olympic Games were almost entirely male-only and women were forbidden even to set foot in the main stadium at Olympia, where running events and combat sports were held. Women were allowed to enter only the equestrian events, not by running but by owning and training the horses. Cynisca employed men and entered her team at the Olympics, where it won in the four-horse chariot racing twice, in 396 BC and again in 392 BC.

Cynisca was honored by having a bronze statue of a chariot and horses, a charioteer and a statue of herself in the Temple of Zeus in Olympia, by the side of the statue of Troilus, made by Apelles, and an inscription written declaring that she was the only female to win the wreath in the chariot events at the Olympic Games. The first person in the inscription indicates that Cynisca was willing to push herself forward.

In addition to this, a hero-shrine of Cynisca was erected in Sparta at Plane-tree Grove where religious ceremonies were held. Only Spartan kings were graced in this way and Cynisca was the first woman to receive this honor. The inscription from Olympia (c. 390-380 BC) reads:

Kings of Sparta are my father and brothers
Kyniska, victorious with a chariot of swift-footed horses,
have erected this statue. I declare myself the only woman
in all Hellas to have won this crown.
Apelleas son of Kallikles made it.

more information: books, films etc.

Write a comment

Comments: 15
  • #1

Jim Stephens (Tuesday, 24 September 2013 17:01)

The women are an overlooked aspect of the Spartan culture. I'm glad to see the time devoted to the subject here.

• #2

Download Games Windows (Thursday, 09 April 2015 17:49)

No man is perfect, only a few humans who are trying to perfect. I really appreciate your efforts in developing the articles on this blog. I am quite satisfied with the exposure you have given. Are you going to publish a new article? If yes, then let me know about the article. I want download this! Nice games!

• #3

Découvrez cet ici (Thursday, 31 March 2016 12:21)

Your website is terribly informative and your articles are wonderful.

• #4

trusox soccer (Monday, 02 May 2016 09:57)

Fine method of telling, and enjoyable article to acquire factual statements.

• #5

substance abuse treatment (Friday, 23 December 2016 11:00)

I’ve been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before.

• #6

Rosio Walworth (Tuesday, 24 January 2017 09:49)

Hi there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

• #7

order modalert (Monday, 10 April 2017 16:43)

I think that thanks for the valuabe information and insights you have so provided here.

• #8

excel vba training london (Monday, 05 June 2017 13:38)

Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.

• #9

bet9ja prediction (Sunday, 06 August 2017 15:07)

Very nice article, I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share, I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks!.

• #10

Ramuan Tradisional Pembersih Rahim Setelah Keguguran (Wednesday, 27 September 2017 08:18)

we thank you very much to those of you who are already taking the time for the making of this article, so as to be useful for all of us

• #11

Obat Lemah Berereksi Paling Mantap Saat Berhubungan Intim (Thursday, 28 September 2017 11:02)

this article is amazing

• #12

Obat Buah Zakar Membesar Sebelah (Thursday, 12 October 2017 10:14)

Thanks for your valuable information. It really gives me an insight on this topic.I'll visit here again for more information.

• #13

diepio game unblocked (Wednesday, 18 October 2017 16:07)

Please share more like that.

• #14

Cara Mengatasi Lemah Syahwat (Friday, 08 December 2017 15:46)

thank you very much for the information, very useful for us. always success

• #15

yo mama (Tuesday, 19 March 2019 14:22)

yall cra cra